Why did I begin to compare Genie with Sysadmins? Are they the same?
Indeed, they are quite similar. We rely on them to fulfil our needs and wishes. What does a real genie do? Here are 3 reasons why Genie is the best person we could look for!
- When you need a Genie, it’ll drop off everything and come to your rescue.
- It can get you out of hard situations.
- It’s a great advisor who will assist you with everything.
Are you wondering what makes this similar to Sysadmins? Wait, let me explain how they are the same.
- Sysadmins help you out suddenly when your system gets crashed or printers get jammed.
- Troubleshoots errors and provides technical support to employees.
- They manage all your network, network file systems, and perform regular security checks and whatnot!
Being a sysadmin is a great profession. A sysadmin is responsible for configuring, maintaining, and ensuring the smooth and reliable operation of a company’s IT infrastructure. Thus, I compared a Genie to Sysadmins. Yet, sysadmins are more than Genies. Because the wish list doesn’t end at three with sysadmins!
The main priority of the sysadmins is to ensure the performance and security of the computers while keeping the company’s budget in mind. They may purchase, install, or upgrade computer components and software, provide routine automation, maintain security policies, troubleshoot, train, and supervise staff to meet these needs.
But does the organization really value Sysadmins’ capabilities and their work?
Give yourself some time to think. Probably not! Here, I’d like to share some hurdles faced by Sysadmins.
- The most frequently asked question in all organizations is “Where are the Sysadmins?” We never bother to ask “How are sysadmins?”. They are often left to take care of servers in a room. Therefore, we never consider them.
- Sometimes, it seems like system administrators are paid to be available 24/7, but it’s much more than that. They have to deal with many after-hour calls, weekend maintenance, late nights at the office, etc. There is no life outside the company for them.
- Being a sysadmin means constantly improving to cope with the new technologies across many facets of IT. All these different technologies to learn and work with are cool until the time is available. Instead of being given sufficient time to learn, they spend more time actually working. This is where burnout occurs. It is the organization’s responsibility to consider their time and help them overcome these obstacles.
- Sometimes sysadmins are restricted to performing huge operations with only limited tools. There may be instances when they need advanced tools to manage the network, but the organization has limited resources. Thus, the organization might consider their workload and intend to allocate more of the budget for sysadmins to satisfy their requirements.
“Not a superhero dressed in capes, but still, they save us from serious issues”
Finally, I discussed some of the challenges faced by system administrators. On this special day, let’s celebrate them by giving them what they deserve. Sysadmins may not have all the answers to our questions right away, but they manage to find them. To our sysadmins, let’s take this good day to appreciate the work they’re doing for us.
“Nothing is impossible for them because they only know one solution, and that is to solve a problem.” Bravo, System admins!
AdminDroid wishes you Happy Sysadmin Day!